In Barking and Dagenham, children in semi-independent accommodation are allocated a keyworker who works with them, their social worker, school and parents/carers to ensure each individual child’s care and educational needs are met. This includes:
- working with schools to raise the educational attainment and aspirations of looked after children
- promoting and supporting their positive participation in enrichment activities
- providing additional support for parents/carers in appropriate cases
- attending school PEP meetings and supporting the child to achieve the objectives set during those meetings
- working with staff and partner agencies to ensure that a holistic approach is adopted to support children and young people in care.